How to Stay Healthy During Travel
Traveling can be super tough on the immune system. Long flights, busy airports and crowded buses put you in contact with a lot of potentially sick people. Add jet lag and lack of sleep into the equation and you’ve got a recipe for a nasty show stopper.
In general, I think managing stress is a big part of keeping your immune system in good shape. Stress is an immune system killer. Meditation is a good way to try and mitigate stress and there is plenty of research that supports the many benefits of meditation. So I try to incorporate a healthy dose of meditation during my travels to keep the system at full strength. A solid yoga session after a long flight or bus ride is great for both body + mind.
In addition to meditation, I always bring/do the following when on the road:
1) Ola Loa Energy drink mix is a great supplemental multi vitamin drink. (Emergen C has quite a bit more sugar but is probably easier to get in a pinch.) More than anything, it’s important to keep hydrated while traveling. These drinks are great reasons to pound fluids while traveling and being in the airport. Short a drink mix, keep the H2O flowing.
2) Nutri Biotic Grapefruit seed Extract is a great to carry on any type of trip. Check out some some of the benefits here.
3) I also bring Wellness Formula with me. It’s a capsule/tablet supplement that uses a blend of herbs, antioxidants, and vitamins to keep the immune system fully charged.
4) Try to eat as healthy as you can while you’re out there too. I know many people who see travel as an excuse to abandon all sensible eating habits, but downing the airport fast food and the equivalent at your destination is not going to keep your body happy. Traveling with a bag of healthy snacks to munch on and a water bottle to supplement the shot of water you missed while you were dozing for a few minutes. (Obviously you need to go through security with an empty waterbottle.)
5) Sleep! The challenge here is finding the balance between fighting jet lag (getting your body’s clock attuned to your current location) and getting enough sleep. In my opinion, the worst thing you can do is sacrifice sleep in the first day or two after your arrival just to get adjusted. This deprivation - coupled with the exposure to viruses, etc during your travel - can set you up for a miserable, sickness-laden journey.
I’d love to hear your travel health tips! Sound off in the comment section below. Good luck out there and stay healthy!
Tags: "Jimmy Chin", "JimmyChin", adventure photography, climbing photography, Emergen C, healthy, healthy travel, jet lag, jimmy, Nutri Biotic Grapefruit seed Extract, Ola Loa, Outdoor photography, Photography, Photos, Source Natural, travel health tips, travel meditation, travel sickness, travel yoga, Wellness Formula